Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm shortlisted at Cannes for copywriting and illustrating

I'm not personally attending the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity that's happening this week. But I've just learned that a couple of things I worked on have been shortlisted. Which is almost as exciting as cavorting on a beach in the South of France. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

In terms of my Copywriting - The Mr. Clean facebook page, for which I helped develop the Mr. Clean character and wrote many of his status updates, is in there:

http://www.canneslions.com/work/2012/interactive/entry.cfm?entryid=32848&award=101&order=0&direction=1

And get this... I'm in this James Ready Beer campaign as an Illustrator. That's right, I was asked to draw some of the newsletters that came in the beer boxes. I knew that doodling on my school notebooks would come in handy one day.

http://www.canneslions.com/work/2012/effectiveness/entry.cfm?entryid=3856&award=101&order=1&direction=1

2 comments:

Trey Ulstad said...

I have a question. Do you apply your copywriting knowledge to the way you write a blog ? Cameron wrote something about that, thats how i stumbled upon your site. -->

http://www.newsgrape.com/a/DmzylQvFMR4ZQxPXfYlahQ/creative-blogs-using-the-secrets-of-cannes-gold-winners/#Comment5384

Josh Rachlis said...

Yes, Trey, I absolutely use my copywriting knowledge when deciding what to write in my blog. By posting the things I'm working on, I'm creating a brand for myself. So I try to apply the same principles that I would when writing an ad for a client. For instance:

-I strive to be succinct enough that people will read what I write.
-I try to convey what could be dry information in an entertaining way so that people will read it.
-And I want them to reward them with a smile, so that readers 1) feel good about my brand and 2) will return to read the next thing I post.

I'm not sure I added any humour or entertainment to this particular response, but, well, maybe by saying that, I just did. :)